Gynecomastia is a disorder connected with the endocrine system. The chest size increases due to the excess production of estrogen. The increase in breast tissue is non-cancerous but can develop in about 1% of the cases.
In this blog, Dr. Shilpi Bhadani, a leading cosmetic surgeon, discusses the factors which cause excessively large breasts in men. The expert surgeon is known for performing the best Gynecomastia Surgery in Gurgaon at SB Aesthetics. Keep reading to learn more.
What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia, in simple terms, refers to “male breasts.” It is a medical condition where there is overdevelopment of the breast tissue in men, and the glandular tissues swell as a result. This gives rise to the appearance of enlarged and heavier breasts in males. As a result, one might notice a swelling or a lump below the nipple, which is movable and sometimes painful. However, gynecomastia differs from the fat deposition that develops around the breast.
When fat crystals deposit around the male breast, it is called “pseudo-gynaecomastia.” Externally, both conditions could appear the same, yet there is a significant difference between the two. The cause is the main difference. In gynecomastia, there is excess development and functioning of the breast tissue, whereas, in pseudo-gynaecomastia, there is fat accumulation.
What Causes Gynecomastia in Men?
- Obesity is one of the most common reasons for gynecomastia in men. Obesity causes fat deposition around the breasts and leads to hormonal imbalance. The build-up of fatty tissue around the breast secretes excess estrogen hormone. As a result, there is an overdevelopment of breast tissue in men.
- There could be an increase in estrogen production or a reduction in androgen production. For some individuals, there could be an occurrence of both factors. The altered ratio of estrogens to androgens causes gynecomastia.
- Estrogen will act like a growth hormone and can lead to the growth of male breast tissue, i.e., gynecomastia.
- Individuals with renal and liver problems will also experience discomfort from excessive breast tissue growth. When a person has a liver illness, their breast size increases.
- Certain medications can enlarge breast tissue size. These include HIV, ulcers, calcium channel blockers, and antifungal medications. All these lead to the excessive growth of breasts in men.
- It is also possible to experience gynecomastia through heredity too. However, such instances are very rare.
- Excessive alcohol intake also leads to hormonal imbalance, which also causes gynecomastia.
- An unhealthy diet is also one of the factors for male breast growth. If food such as soya milk, dairy products, beetroot, and fried food is consumed excessively, they can cause gynecomastia.
Other reasons that cause gynecomastia:
- With a decline in testosterone levels and an increase in subcutaneous fat, older men may also experience gynecomastia. It can be viewed as a part of the aging process. If there is an increase in fatty tissue, it could lead to the conversion of androgenic hormones into estrogens.
- Multiple reasons lead to the reduction of testosterone levels. If men suffer from nutrition deficiency, their testosterone level also comes down. Yet, the production of estrogen by the adrenal glands will result in hormonal imbalance.
If men want to get rid of the excess fatty deposits around their chest, they can consult Dr. Shilpi Bhadani, the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Gurgaon, at SB Aesthetics to avail the benefits of gynecomastia surgery. The experienced surgeon also specializes in performing liposuction, body contouring surgery, breast augmentation, breast reduction, hair transplant, etc. at her clinic. For more information, pay a visit at SB Aesthetics today!