Wetsuits are typically made of neoprene, which naturally oxidizes over time. Oxidized neoprene becomes firm. Ultraviolet light, heat, and other environmental factors speed up the oxidation. Therefore, the life of wetsuit is basically determined by external factors such as the use and storage. In the early stage of oxidation, small cracks will appear on the wetsuit (especially in the position where it is easy to fall in ultraviolet light, such as the shoulder, upper arm and back). For the same reason, the surface layer of the wetsuit gradually loses elasticity and hardens. And the initial oxidation will basically appear slowly after three years of use. Although the surface of wetsuit is oxidized, generally do not affect its heat preservation in real time. However, with the deepening of oxidation, such as the cracks in the surface deep into the inner, the insulation function of the wetsuit will also be affected. To slow down the oxidation of your wetsuit and make it more durable, we suggest the following:
- Minimize the time your wetsuit is exposed to the burning sun. Keep your wetsuit dry after each use.
- Do not use drier to dry the wetsuit. Please let it dry naturally.
- Do not immerse the wetsuit in bleach or other water containing chemicals (such as pool).
- Rinse the wetsuit with clean water after each use to reduce the damage caused by sea salts and contaminants
- If necessary, use neutral soap to remove dirt
- If possible, hang the wetsuit with a hanger. Folding or pressing will create crease in the wetsuit.
- Store wetsuit in the shade if not in use. Do not store in places that are too hot or wet.
- Keep wetsuit away from sharp and uneven surfaces (e.g. hooks, fins, etc.), as such objects can damage it.
If the zipper can be maintained regularly, the service life of the zipper can be prolonged. We have the following suggestions:
- Avoid dust, sand, salt, etc. on the zipper.
- If there is dust, sand, salt etc. on the zipper, if you want to remove the wetsuit, please remove the dust before opening the zipper.
- Keep the habit of adding lubricant to the zipper for a while. General lubrication can go deep into the zipper. After adding the lubricant, switch the zipper on and off several times to ensure that the zipper is smooth. (Please add lubricant to the zipper after cleaning it);
- Please open the zipper when storing wetsuit.
Well, a high quality wetsuit is not cheap, so take care of it!